For the 3rd time since building the van, I’ve reconstructed the bed. But this time it’s for keeps!
What I was trying to accomplish:
- I wanted a stationary bed. I got really tired having to set up and break down the bed every day.
- I wanted better access to storage. Sliding things under the platform was ok, but it meant that I could only access certain items from outside — which is not good for stealth camping. I made a hinged bench that allows for access from the inside of the van as well.
- I wanted to be able to sit up in bed. The previous platform was level with the fridge, which meant that it was too close to the ceiling for me to sit up in bed to read, watch movies, eat pizza like a slob, etc.
What did I learn?
- Simple is always better. Previous designs were complicated by things that needed to be locked or expanded. I thought I needed a full size bed to sleep well. I don’t. Single/dorm size is totally functional and comfortable.
- Multi-access storage is best.
- Keeping things from sliding is a big deal. My dad helped install a small lip between the floor of the van and storage area to keep things from sliding around while I drove. It made a huge difference.